Back to Sussex




















































Wadhurst 

Wadhurst is an ancient town located on the Sussex Kent Border on a ridge of the hill range called the Weald. The town is located roughly between  Crowborough and Tunbridge Wells. Wadhurst is also located near Bewl Water, an important water reservoir fed by the river Bewl, which feeds the River Medway.

The name Wadhurst is probably named after an Aglo-Saxon tribe called 'Wada', who first settled in the area in the 7th or 8th century.  In the early days, the town was called Wadeherst, but that was later shortened to Wadhurst.  The town was a notable settlement the 11th century, but it is not mentioned in the Domesday Book.  This is because in those days the land was owned by the Archbishop of Canterbury's and the compilers of the Domesday book had therefore no interest in the village. 

Like other towns in Sussex, Wadhurst was grated its Royal charter in 1253, to allow a cattle market to be established.  This boosted the town's relative importance. Over the years Wadhurst also established some small industry, notably the iron industry.

Like most towns in the region, the Victorians contributed towards the fortunes of the town, by building the railways.  Located on the main line from London (Charing Cross) to Hastings, the Wadhurst station is the highest station in Southern England.  The chosen location was in those days 1.5 miles from the town, and was inevitable that the town's expansion would be in the direction of the station..

Throughout the years Wadhurst has remained a nice market town, with a good range of shops.  Wadhurst has managed to retain a number of traditional small outlets, which have stood the test of time. These outlets, which include a traditional iron monger, baker and old post office, make the town attractive for locals, and for tourists.